(c) Steven Pottle 2007

Wednesday 27 February 2008

“The Dove”

You may not believe in peace and love
But it’s all that I wear, it’s all that I’ve got…

Bright before my eyes, pumping in my heart and flows in circles around my arms
I’ll always trust in the gentle and sensitive sides
And I don’t consider these to be a sign of weakness
They are the stronger and they stand and fall by each other
While you hide behind your men in their terror uniforms and death turrets

A frown has engraved my face and it’s too late to turn it around
This confused mug has become all that people see when they look at me
So I smile despite the lines as I never wanted to get old before my time
Though your long lies and quick goodbyes have forced us all to grab for the cage and stay inside
I still look to a time when someone may put down their gun in horror and love the pretty petals of simple flowers

You may call me a foolish sissy or the symbol of a tragic romantic
But when the earth is either burnt to a crisp or over flown with sudden rivers
I’ll go under knowing that one day I may breathe again
I like to think that we always hurt the ones that we really love
And so it’s easier for us to say that we hate rather than to proclaim feelings other than those of pain
You can always press the hand of karma and ask for her forgiveness
So I wish you luck for the future as your past returns to meet her…

You may not believe in peace or love
But it’s all that we need, it’s all that we’ve got.




© 2008 Steven Pottle

No comments:

"The Beginning...Or The End?"

"The Beginning...Or The End?"
(c) Steven Pottle 2007